The Halloween trick that conjures ghosts of the mind


AS I prepare the room, it feels as if I'm getting ready for a seance. I close the curtains to block out most of the light and place two chairs about a metre apart. I prop up a large mirror on one and sit in the other so that I can just see my reflection in the near darkness. Then I set a timer for 10 minutes and wait patiently for the faces to appear.


When they do, it is startling. At first the distortions in the mirror are small: a lifted eyebrow, a twitch of the mouth. But after seven minutes my reflection suddenly looks fake, like a waxwork. And then it is no longer my face. For a few seconds an old man with a thickly wrinkled brow and down-turned mouth stares back at me.


The first time Giovanni Caputo saw the faces, he was also haunted ...


To continue reading this article, subscribe to receive access to all of newscientist.com, including 20 years of archive content.