Man vs sherry trifle: Can I eat myself drunk?


What happens if you try to get mashed on potatoes and sauced on sauce? It's a sobering insight into what really happens to the booze we cook with


I LOVE cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.


Ah, the old ones are the best. But here's an oldie that is well past its sell-by date: if you cook with wine, all the alcohol is "burned off" by the heat.


When I started telling people about my plan to see if I could eat myself drunk, I heard this piece of kitchen folklore again and again. And no wonder: it seems so plausible. The boiling point of ethanol is about 78.5 °C, significantly lower than the boiling point of, say, a casserole. So if you add wine to a hot pan, the alcohol evaporates.


Not so. In 1992, a team of food scientists at the University of ...


To continue reading this article, subscribe to receive access to all of newscientist.com, including 20 years of archive content.